Weight loss surgery can be a useful tool for many who struggle with losing weight, but it's not always the right treatment for everyone. To qualify as a candidate for a weight loss procedure, patients typically must meet the following criteria:
- You have a body mass index (BMI) of 40+ or a BMI of 35+ with one or more obesity-related conditions.
- You have a BMI of 30+ with type 2 diabetes not well controlled with medications.
- Traditional weight loss methods, such as diet and exercise, have had little or no effect in helping you lose weight or keep weight off.
- You don't have conditions that could lead to serious complications in surgery.
- You are committed to making healthy lifestyle choices.
- You understand the risks and benefits of weight loss surgery.